Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Front steering

I gallivanted down to my grandparents' house Saturday to get the front steering set up. It seemed a simple task. I needed two holes drilled in a section of pipe. Simple, no? Well, yes it actually was pretty simple, but I could not have done it on my own. To drill a hole in metal, you have to start out small and get progressively bigger. So drilling one hole is more like five.

I got down to my grandpa's house and we went right to work. I had been in his basement a couple times before, but I never got a good look at it before. The place is downright magical. He's got at least two of everything you can imagine. We have one rubber mallet at home, and he's got six, in all different sizes. We made our way over to an old looking Black and Decker drill mounted on a vertical press to get this job done. When I asked him how he got it he told me that he worked as a mechanical engineer for some large companies. I asked, "How did it get from there to here then?" to which he responded "Well, how did that medicine get in your medicine cabinet?" My parents are both doctors, so his point was well taken. I would admit too that when stuff is no longer needed by a company, of if they can be convinced that it isn't needed, it tends to disappear rather quickly.

After much effort, we got the holes drilled. It took a bit of grinding down to get the control arms to fit, but they fit well, angled perfectly. I threw a rod on there for steering that I will connect to the steering column when it arrives... If it arrives... :/

As the deadline for this project nears, I'm becoming more and more impatient with UPS and the stores I've bought stuff from.

www.flickr.com

No comments: